Sunday, September 25, 2016

♥ DIY: Bleaching and Coloring Hair

Hello everyone!

Yes, I am back to blogging! Yey! It has been almost two years since I "abandoned" my blog because my laptop broke and I am so poor I could not buy a new one. :( But I am always active on IG so follow me there. I did reviews there for the mean time. I still visit my blog though and encouraging myself to go back to blogging and here I am! :D Hopefully, I could post a lot before the year ends. 

Also, I am excited to announce that I am now an official member of Davao Bloggers Society. Yey me! It is also one of the reasons why I came back to blogging. I am looking forward for the events, workshops, etc. that I will be doing as part of the DBS. Hopefully, it will enhance my skills in blogging and be more exposed to the blogging world. And of course, gain new blogger friends. Hehe!

Anyway, for my first post of the year, I will be sharing to you my first attempt in bleaching and coloring my hair with the help of my aunt. I just want to share it here in my blog because I know there are also a lot of girls and guys out there who want to color their hair with not so common colors, it is called fashion colors nowadays, but we all know that we need to have a budget of Php5,000 and up if we want our hair to be done by professionals in a salon. But I don't have that amount of money and it hurts my pocket if I will just spend it on my hair. So, I decided to do it myself with the help of my aunt and with the help of the internet. Just a disclaimer though, we are all first timers here, my aunt and I. Also, I have done a lot of research and I contemplated for how many months before I finally decided to do it myself. I am not encouraging you to do it yourself by writing this post but to give you reference based on my experience. So, if you are interested, just keep on reading. :D


Hair Background


Before anything else, I would just like to share my hair background. All that my hair had undergone. My hair is originally wavy. I had my hair relaxed since I was in Grade Six. So, basically, I don't have a virgin hair. I color my hair once in a while because I'm afraid that it might cause so much damage to my already damaged hair that is why it took so long for me to finally decide to color and even bleach my hair. Last May, I had my hair relaxed again. I always had my hair relaxed every after 6 months to 1 year to maintain my not so straight hair. Hehe! Then I colored my hair using the Etude House Bubble Coloring. I shared my experience about that product on my IG. It was a very long post, I should have made a blog post instead. Anyway, that was the last treatment my hair had. And then after a month or so, I bleached my hair. 

It took me almost one year to contemplate and also made some research about bleaching and study hair coloring through the internet because, as what I have said, I am afraid that it would totally destroy my hair. I always think that my hair is very damaged due to hair relaxing that is why I always think twice. And I forgot to mention that I blow dry my hair EVERYDAY. Could you imagine the damage from the heat? :/ But I always do hair treatments at home which will be in a different blog post so stay tuned for that. ;)

Anyway, let's stop this blah blah and talk about the main topic of this blog post. Hehe!


Starting off with the things you will need for the bleaching process.


Bleaching Powder. There are two types of bleaching powder, there's a blue one and a white one. I read that the blue powder is better than the white one. But it depends on your preference. Personally, I chose the blue powder from the brand Elgon. 

Oxidizing Lotion. Also known as Hydrogen Peroxide or developer. This is a chemical and this is the one that will destroy your hair and will lift the color of your hair into different levels. Oh yes, there are levels. So don't expect your hair to become blonde in just one bleaching. Usually, you will get a golden yellow/orange color on your first bleaching IF you have dark brown or black hair. There are different volumes of hydrogen peroxide: 40 vol. (12%) is the highest and the strongest one, 30 vol. (9%), 20 vol. (6%) is the lowest and the safest to use. I prefer to use 30 vol. from the same brand Elgon. 

Gloves. I suggest you to use the disposable transparent plastic one because it is much easier to work with than rubber gloves. 

Tinted Brush and Mixing Bowl.

Old Shirt. 

I only did the underlayer of my hair just in case we will mess up, it won't be that obvious. Hahaha! And also, we are all beginners on bleaching so it will be tedious if we bleach my whole hair. I have thick hair by the way. So, this is my goal result of the whole process. :D


Photo credits from Pink and Gold Salon, the salon where I was supposed to go and do my hair but I realized I don't have money that's why I ended up with this blogpost. Hahaha! Anyway, that is my peg style and what I expected it to be. So, let's see. :D

We started the bleaching process and it took us 30 mins to apply the bleach and waited 1 hour for the bleach to work. My mixing ratio of the bleach and developer is 1:2 (1 part powder, 2 parts developer). Then I rinsed it off with cold water. I didn't put anything after rinsing because I toned it using a violet hair dye diluted in a conditioner. I'm sorry I have no photos to show because I got disappointed of the result of the bleaching process that I immediately applied the toner and hair dye. But, for your information, I got a golden yellow color near the roots and a medium brown at the tips. That is why I got disappointed because the bleach didn't work on the tips because my aunt didn't apply enough product. 

Disappointed, I still proceeded to the next step which is to tone your hair. Toner is supposed to get your hair to a lighter color, almost white hair. But, apparently, mine didn't work and that is another disappointment for me. Anyway, there are ready to use toners available in the market but I opted to use a violet hair dye diluted in a conditioner because the ready to use toner needs a developer and I don't want to cause more damage to my hair. So, I watched YT videos on DIY hair toner and good news, it doesn't need a developer and it works. 


This is the toner that I made. I used a keratin conditioner to, somehow, treat my damaged hair and a violet hair dye. Now, the real toner doesn't look like this, it is supposed to look like a lavender color. Maybe I put too much violet. Another disappointment. (*sigh) But I applied it anyway without any expectations at all, at least it could work as a hair treatment. Lol! I waited 20 mins for the toner to work and to my surprise, my hair did tone a little bit. There were no yellow tones anymore, it became golden brown which I think became darker instead of becoming lighter. Again, sorry I don't have photos. So, I rinsed it again and proceeded to the next step, dyeing my hair. Almost done!

  
The dyes that I used were La Riche Directions which I got from @berbiedolls on IG. I bought Violet for the toner and Vermillion Red for the coloring process.


This is Vermillion Red. It is a bloody red color. Just the way I like it. I'm happy I picked the right red color that I want. As you know, there are a lot of different shades of red in the color chart of La Riche Directions and I had a hard time picking the right color for me. I think this is the darkest color in the color chart.

So, we went on coloring my hair and I left it on for an hour or so for the color to really stick to the hair strands. 

And the final result...


Business on the front...


Party in the back!

You can now understand what I meant awhile ago. Those near the roots are the ones that have been bleached properly. As you can see, the color really showed in that area. This photo is over exposed to sunlight that is why it looks red orange but it looks really red when indoors. 



I am really happy with the outcome even though I got all disappointed during the process. At least I got what I wanted. It's not perfect but it's okay, at least I learned. Now I know what to do. I am planning to bleach and color my hair again with a different color but I will wait for it to fade first. Maybe after a month or so. I hope it will fade into a nice rose gold color. Hehe! For the record, the bleached part of my hair is not dry or frizzy at all and I am happy that I don't feel that it's damaged because it still feels so soft. Maybe the treatments helped.

That's all for this blog post. Thank you very much for reading until the end. I hope you enjoyed it and learned something from it. See you on my next post and follow me on IG (@judychiot) if you want to see more updates and short reviews. :)

Share your experiences in the comment section below. :)




Lots of love,
♥ Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment